There is no shortage of advice on the internet pertaining to training and caring for your dog. But how can you separate what is quality advice from that which is potentially harmful?
We believe in modern, scientific-based training methods and quality care for your dog, so we put together this list of what we think is among the best out there. We could have a very long list, but these are those that we find the most valuable and appealing for all types of audiences, crossing all types of training and educational needs.
If you are facing serious behavioral issues, please contact us. If we can’t help you, we are committed to finding the best help for you and your dog, and are always happy to refer to the best trainers, behaviorists and other professionals who are best-suited for your needs.
- Pat Miller’s amazing book, The Power of Positive Dog Training, is a great primer for learning about positive-reinforcement training techniques, basic obedience and problem solving.
- Ian Dunbar’s Before and After Getting Your Puppy: The Positive Approach to Raising a Happy, Healthy Puppy, will prepare all new puppy parents for the joys of rearing a wonderful delightful doggy! And there are also links for FREE downloads: BEFORE You Get Your Puppy and AFTER You Get Your Puppy
- Patricia McConnell’s The Other End of the Leash will help you better understand how to communicate with and build a foundation of trust and understanding with your dog.
- Nicole Wilde’s Help for Your Fearful Dog is a comprehensive guide to those of us whose dogs have any type of fear or find life stressful.
- Emma Parson’s Click to Calm – Healing the Aggressive Dog is a great guide to using clicker training to help dogs who have aggressive and/or fear-reactive behaviors.
- Karen Pryor’s classic book that brought clicker training to the forefront, Don’t Shoot the Dog, is still as relevant as ever! Learn the principles of operant conditioning and shaping for all animals, humans included.
- Leslie McDevitt’s Control Unleashed is a book that forever changed my life and path as a dog trainer. I cannot speak more highly of it, and the techniques it gives to help build a solid relationship with your dog, and help them be confident and relaxed, no matter what is going on.
- Ian Dunbar’s TED Talk on Dog Friendly Training
- Emily Larlham, Dogmantics Dog Training – Kikopup YouTube station
- Chirag Patel, DomesticatedManners
- Victoria Stillwell’s Teacher’s Pet videos
- Donna Hill’s 9 Habits of Effective Clicker Trainers
- Ahimsa Dog Training’s YouTube Channel
- Eileen and Dogs’ YouTube Channel
- Whole Dog Journal has GREAT advice on both training AND nutrition.
- CARE for Reactive Dogs
- Debbie Jacobs’ Fearful Dogs
- The Muzzle Up! Project
AWESOME VISUALS FOR LEARNING
- Doggie Drawings by Lili Chin
- Stress Signs in Dogs (4Paws University)
- ASPCA Reading Canine Body Postures handout
BLOGS / ONLINE ARTICLES
- Karen Pryor Clicker Training
- Patricia McConnell’s blog
- Jean Donaldson’s blog
- Nicole Wilde’s blog
- Suzanne Clothier’s articles
- 4Paws University training & behavior library
- Eileen and Dogs Blog
SAFETY & BITE PREVENTION
AWESOME ORGANIZATIONS THAT DO AWESOME THINGS AND HAVE AWESOME RESOURCES!